Roger is a sweet, friendly gingerbread man who was presented during “Madalina’s Workshop” on Junior Bake Off Italy.
Today we are revealing our Original recipe, so that you can stun all of your family and friends with your creations.
- 380 g of plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 level teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of cloves (add to taste)
- 350 g of sugar
- 150 g of butter
- 150 g of honey
- 2 teaspoons of ginger
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- Salt to taste
- Take a large bowl, sift in the flour and add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then set it aside for a moment.
- Take another bowl – or better still a food mixer – and mix the butter and the sugar, beating them until they form a sort of cream. Stir in the honey and the egg, then beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Gradually add the flour and spices from the other bowl and stir.
- Split the mixture into two parts and put them in the fridge for at least two hours (or overnight if possible).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line some baking trays with baking paper. Roll out the dough until it is approximately ½ cm thick, then cut out the gingerbread men with cutters and spread them out on the trays with gaps of around 3 cm between them.
- Put the gingerbread men in the fridge for approximately 10 minutes so that they don’t lose their shape in the oven, then bake them for 8 to 12 minutes.
As well as serving them as tasty treats, there are lots of other ways to use your gingerbread men! If you make small holes in the top of the gingerbread men’s heads before you bake them, you can make them into fun Christmas decorations to hang on ribbons from your Christmas tree or around the house. Another great idea is to use the gingerbread men as place markers at the table. You could even add the names of all of the guests. Alternatively, you could use them as Christmas card holders to go with your presents. Have fun with your children and let your imaginations go wild!
Roger and Original Marines wish you all a Merry Christmas!